This is a simple and wonderful vegan pasta sauce that is sure to hit the spot for your comfort food and cheese-sauce cravings!
Roast in the oven or frying pan:
- 3 red bell peppers (capsicum), cut in large chunks (500g)
- 4 small tomatoes (200g)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped (80g)
- 1-2 whole gloves of garlic, with the peel
Peel the roasted garlic gloves and put everything in a blender or food processor, keeping a few pieces of red pepper aside. Add the following to the blender jar:
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 tbsp cashew sour-cream/ cheese (works well with soaked walnut, too!)
- black pepper
Blend the sauce. Meanwhile, cook 400g of pasta al dente (= firm to the bite), and cut the red peppers you kept aside into fine stripes for decoration. When the pasta is done, mix it with the sauce and add:
- fresh basil, coarsely chopped or whole leaves (also nice with fresh oregano or rosemary)
For serving, top with fresh herbs and vegan “parmesan” (ground sesame + salt).